Sunday, February 21, 2010

Thunder spoil McGrady's Knicks debut with OT win

NEW YORK – The Oklahoma City Thunder spoiled Tracy McGrady's New York debut with a 121-118 overtime victory for their eighth consecutive win on Saturday.

Kevin Durant powered the Thunder, scoring the game's final four points and 36 for the game to send the Knicks to their sixth successive loss.

It marked the 27th consecutive game the All-Star forward has scored 25 or more points. Team mate Russell Westbrook added 31 points as the Thunder erased a six-point deficit in the final minute to force overtime on Durant's three-pointer.

McGrady, traded to the Knicks by the Houston Rockets on Thursday, scored 26 points and delivered five assists in his first game since December.

"It felt foreign to me when I first stepped out there," the 30-year-old told reporters. "I didn't know if I was going to have my timing. I had the jitters. I mean, I haven't played in so long, you know?"

The seven-times All Star went on to play 32 minutes, longer than he expected.

"It really felt good," said McGrady, who started at shooting guard.

"I think it helped my confidence moving forward as far as mentally knowing that I can go out there and play a significant amount of minutes."

But he was in the game for only 19 seconds in overtime.

"He kind of ran out of gas toward the end," Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni said while praising McGrady's overall play.

"He's been an All Star for a long time," D'Antoni said. "I expect him to play at that level or get back to that level at some time."

David Lee topped the Knicks with 30 points and former Boston Celtics' guard Eddie House had 24.

House's jumper, off an assist by McGrady, gave the Knicks a 118-117 lead with 30 seconds to play in overtime.

Then Durant took over.

"He reminds me of myself when I was younger," said McGrady.

1 comment:

http://www.ehow.com/members/stevemar2-articles.html said...

McGrady played very well despite the loss. I think he will help the Knicks win many of their remaining games, but New York will still miss the playoffs.